Wolvesey Castle –
The medieval Bishops of Winchester were rich and powerful men, the relations and advisers of kings. Wolvesey, standing a stone’s throw from Winchester Cathedral, was their main residence throughout the Middle Ages. The extensive remains date largely from the great 12th century palace of Bishop Henry of Blois, brother of King Stephen.
Though ruinous, the buildings still evoke an impression of their former grandeur. The last great occasion here was on 25th July 1554, when the East Hall was transformed with silk and gold hangings for Queen Mary and Philip of Spain’s wedding banquet.
Winchester College is believed to be the oldest continuously running school in the country…
Founded in 1382 by William of Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester 1366-1404, Winchester College is believed to be the oldest continuously running school in the country. Our guided tours concentrate on the medieval heart of the College and include Chamber Court, which takes its name from the Scholars’ and Fellows’ chambers enclosing it; the 14th century Gothic Chapel with one of the earliest examples of a wooden vaulted roof; College Hall, the original Scholars’ dining room; School, the 17th century redbrick schoolroom and the original medieval cloister.