Take a moment of reflection this Armistice Day at Winchester Cathedral as Box 459 returns to the outer close to mark the 100-year anniversary of the end of the First World War.
The sculpture, commissioned by Winchester City Council and poignantly designed to represent the fallen soldiers from the district, was first unveiled in 2014 to mark the beginning of the war. It has been displayed in various locations in the district to end where it began, at Winchester Cathedral.
The sculpture was first unveiled at the Cathedral on 4 August 2014 to mark the Imperial War Museum’s LIGHTS OUT event and has received international recognition for the team who created it at AR Design Studio Ltd in Winchester.
The steel light installation, which was inspired by the 1921 inscription on Winchester Cathedral’s War memorial that recorded a total of 459 fallen soldiers from the city, won a Surface Design Award in 2015.
Box 459’s dimensions mark Armistice Day – it is a 1100mm engineered steel cube. An internal light source projects powerful shafts of light through 459 apertures representing the city’s lost generation from this era of history. A further 43 apertures have coloured filters – these represent the fallen soldiers of Winchester District’s 43 parishes.
This is a free event – all are welcome.