The criss-crossing streets and alleyways located between the cathedral and Southgate Street were known in the 16th century as 'Constable Rewe'. The area once housed royal officials due to the area's proximity to the royal place located in the cathedral grounds from the 10th century until its destruction during the Siege of Winchester of 1141. A Constable was a high royal official who maintained law and order in the palace precincts and judged on matters of chivalry, tournaments, and marshal displays. Great Minster Street and Little Minster Street were thus known jointly as 'the constabulary' (not to be confused with police stations).
Today we cast our net a little wider in naming this collective of equally historic, interconnected streets 'the constabulary':
St Swithun Street
St Thomas Street
Little Minster Street
Great Minster Street