An action-packed weekend featuring firings of artillery from the First and Second World Wars, plus a live-action re-enactment of an air-attack by a Messerschmitt. Throughout the day demonstrations and re-enactments will show how Fort Nelson played its part in the defence of Portsmouth during wartime. See programme below.A great day out for all the family with lots of activities for the children.
• Messerschmitt air-attack, based on an actual raid on Portsmouth on 10 March 1941
• Air-raid re-enactment, featuring searchlights, air-raid sirens and 3.7-inch anti-aircraft guns
• Live firings of big guns on the ramparts by Portsdown Artillery Volunteers.
• Horse-drawn First World War 18-pounders in action around The Parade
• Military vehicles, fire engines and ambulances
• The Women’s Voluntary Service and Women’s Land Army
• Static firings of the First World War 18-pounders
• Junior Assault Course
• Monster Hunt museum trail & stickers
• Face Painting
• BBQ & Refreshments
The museum’s indoor galleries will be open from 10am – 5pm and admission is free as usual. Access to the Parade Ground and outdoor exhibits including the Artillery Hall will be by event ticket only.
Royal Armouries reserves the right to change the programme without prior notification. The flight of the Messerschmitt will be dependent upon operational conditions on the day.